I started out this project fairly confident in my proposal “to expose the flaws of the earliest iteration of X-Men” by creating Twitter pages for the main characters and having them “engage with each other the way they do in the comic” to “allow for those following/participating in the threads to feel like another member of the team, and to perhaps experience the objectification and sexism that Jean [Grey] experienced”. I created e-mail accounts for Iceman, Beast, Angel, and Jean Grey (but not for Scott, because he’s too uptight to be on social media), which was easy enough. However, when I made a Twitter account for Iceman, it asked me for a phone number. I used my phone number, which is already connected to my personal Twitter account. It seemed fine though, and Iceman’s Twitter was created. I then made one for Beast, but suddenly Iceman’s Twitter was gone. I kept trying to sign into his, but it said the account didn’t exist. Then when I tried to sign back into Beast’s account, that one also seemed to be gone. I got an e-mail about unusual activity connected to the phone number tied to my personal account, and I had to verify my personal account or it would be disabled. So I verified the information, my personal account was fine, but I seemingly could not create more Twitter accounts using the same phone number.

On top of that, I printed out the first 24 issues of the original X-Men series at work (stealthily, in increments of 50 pages throughout the day so I didn’t get in trouble for printing “personal” documents at work) after copying and pasting all 527 pages from readcomiconline.to into a Word document and realized that turning the first 66 issues into a social media exchange was a much bigger, probably-not-possible endeavor.

Discouraged after both events, I had no choice but to go back to the drawing board. I started to think about what I really wanted to express with the project, and what would be the most fitting for something so digital and interactive. The original idea I’ve had in mind for a while to explore feminism and fragile white masculinity in X-Men is to do an erasure of the comics, erasing or whiting out every comic panel that does not feature a woman, queer person, or a person of color to show the lack of diversity in the beginning of the series and the increasing representation as the series continues. I still like this idea, but I don’t feel like it’s right for this project, because I don’t think it’s interactive enough and not specifically digital enough.

Instead, I’ve decided to use Tumblr as my platform (because no phone number is required) and just focus on Iceman. Under the username TheIcemanSlayeth (a nod to a joke made in Sina Grace’s Iceman series about a recently-out adult Bobby Drake), I plan on having the character blog about his adventures in the first 24 issues of the original X-Men series. By giving the teenage Bobby a voice, I hope to re-build his character’s history with a more blatant, more authentic queer narrative. In addition to discussing events from the comics, I also plan on having him comment on music/movies/tv from the time period (the early to mid-1960s). I haven’t created any posts yet, but I’ve begun going through the issues, circling things and taking notes for what I want to say. The project still has the possibility for interaction, since anyone on Tumblr can comment/reblog/like the posts. However, I do not think I will create blogs for the other characters, because their perspective is not what the project is aiming to portray.

I feel positive about the direction the project is going in, and I’m excited to see what happens with it.

(This is the link to the Tumblr, but I’m not sure the link works yet, because I haven’t posted anything yet: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard )